A. Introduction and General Purpose
The service is provided for the peoples of the Pakistan. For the purposes of the PAK7 media ministry, we define the “peoples of Pakistan” primarily as those of Pakistani origin, whether in country or in dispersion; we anticipate the audience will also include the speakers of Urdu, Punjabi, Pashtu and other Pakistani languages who reside in neighboring countries, as well as a sizable audience of cognate language speakers such as Hindi, given that Hindi is essentially the same language as Urdu in its oral expression.
PAK7 will strive for a balance in programing to meet the needs and interests of different national, ethnic and cultural groupings across the region. The programs always seek to be culturally sensitive. Education is a priority in programming and it will include such things as primary health care, literacy and community development.
While PAK7 will seek to produce most of its programming in original, local languages, it is also recognized that PAK7 content will always be enhanced by a certain percentage of material imported into the region. Such acquired material, such as quality motion pictures, documentaries, animation for children, etc. will always enrich the broadcast schedules and help meet the entertainment and educational needs of its audience.
The programing will be designed to:
● Address the spiritual, moral, social and economic needs, concerns and interests of Pakistanis.
● Portray the life and integrity of the world’s Christian communities, and especially those indigenous to the Pakistan.
● Enable the peoples of Pakistan to hear and understand the essentials of the Christian faith.
● Support the development of church leadership, especially in environments where no local formal theological seminary training is available.
● Support agencies working in the areas of rural development, health, environmental protection, education, micro-enterprise development, etc.
● Provide a broadcast and communication vehicle into Pakistan for a wide spectrum of Christian churches and organizations which can provide appropriate programing.
● Furthermore, programing, even of an overtly Christian nature, will never be critical of any other religious belief system but only seek to present Biblical truth in a positive manner.
B. The Content of the Network
The programing provided by the service will always strive to be both balanced and diverse. A balance is sought between programing of a general Christian nature and that which addresses the social, psychological, emotional, physical and entertainment needs of the region. Three key words summarize the basic approach of PAK7: Unity, Diversity and Complementarity. The programing will always emphasize the unity of the Christian Church while portraying diverse spiritualities across cultural and national boundaries. This unity and diversity is actually a strength — it reflects the Biblical concept that different members of the Body of Christ have roles which complement those of other members. Rather than being a point of division, the diversity of the Body is a cause for celebration. Further, experience suggests that education and exposure to Christians of other spiritual traditions can be a powerful means of breaking down long-standing barriers.
With this program philosophy pioneered by SAT-7, PAK7 plays a key role in bringing together Christians who for too long have been suspicious of each other. For example, the network will televise Church services — and both non-Christian and Christian audiences benefit. Non-Christians have the opportunity to know precisely what goes on in Christian services — dispelling a common idea that Christian worship is immoral (because men and women worship together). Equally, Christians benefit from realizing that despite the great differences between, for example, a Catholic Mass and a Baptist Communion, both services testify to the Risen Christ.
PAK7 is not a timeshare network on which separate organizations buy air-time and then transmit their own material. PAK7 has its own well defined program policy, and each program is evaluated on its merits in the light of the criteria of this policy. The decision on what to broadcast remains solely in the hands of the PAK7 leadership.
Initially, PAK7 will rely primarily on existing curated content but over time will produce its own programs, given that “content is king.” The aim is to see existing and new Christian media agencies in Pakistan and elsewhere become more involved in producing indigenous programing that will meet the needs of the network’s schedules.
One priority of PAK7 is to facilitate the mentoring training of people in various skills. This applies to those directly employed by PAK7, and will also include those working for external program productions centers. The Program Policy is to ensure that PAK7 provides:
1. Channels to educate, inform, inspire and motivate Christians. It should encourage church attendance and stimulate spiritual growth.
2. An opportunity to improve the image of Christianity in the eyes of non-believers and a unique opportunity to present the Gospel to those who may never otherwise hear it.
3. A high quality media network that church families and youth can watch without being exposed to, materialistic or anti-Christian ideas. It will bring a Christian perspective on major issues directly into people’s homes.
4. New resources on DVD, audio CD and “new media,” the stimulation of new printed matter for ministry, materials for women, youth, children, etc.
5. An opportunity for the Church to respond to spiritual enquirers.
6. Specially trained and qualified personnel (TV workers, counselors, social media workers, administrators, etc.) to better equip the Church. 7.
A voice and a sense of identity for Pakistani Christians, helping legitimize their existence as Christians who speak any of the 70 languages of Pakistan.
8. That Christians in the Pakistan have the right of reply to criticism against them in other media. The channel will also provide a unique opportunity to discuss sensitive issues with non-Christians or Government representatives being fairly represented.
9. An opportunity for the Church to contribute to national and public life and society through such things as programs on health, safety and education, citizenship, caring for the marginalized and oppressed, human rights and responsibility, etc.
10. An opportunity to show both believers and others the diversity in unity that exists within the Christian community.
11. Local employment and career opportunities for church members.
12. Furthermore: The network will have a catalytic effect, inspiring other Church programs and media initiatives, just as SAT-7 has done.